Big Black Book

bad ass book of doom? not quite yet...

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

*POP* goes the laptop!

It all began like this :

-Came home from class, switched the laptop on.
-Everything was normal and fine.
-Tried browsing the web.
-The internet line decided to let me down and went into PMS mode.
-FINE!
-Played Battle Realms instead. Love those colourful graphics, =)
-Entered into a skirmish game.
-As my peasants was running to another point to build some huts,
-Screen frozed, blinked and turned blue. (BSoD, T.T)
-A lot of words streamed down the screen, only thing I could catch was 'Dumping physical memory'.
-Then it completely shut down.
-Tried switching it back on again.
-The monitor gave a blank look, I meant the monitor was blank, nothing came up.
-There was power to the laptop as the power button light was lighted up and I heard the whirring of the fan. The fan whirred for a few seconds before it went silent.
-Then it shuts itself down again.
-Tried a couple more times and the same thing happened.

Asked for some opinions, they said :

-Could be an overheating problem. (I have a cooler underneath it and a stand fan blowing at it.)
-Could be a burnt motherboard/monitor/power adapter/hard disk. (No burnt smell from any openings on the laptop, yes I did sniff my entire laptop, lol)

Possible root of problem :

-Motherboard (Had my laptop examined by a technician in a Digital Mall in KL, somewhere near Tropicana Mall when I wanted to buy another piece of RAM to make my laptop run on dual 2Gb units. He said my laptop model won't take 4Gb and advised me to run on a sole 2Gb at that moment because I had a 1Gb unit and a 2Gb unit slotted in. I listened to him and from then onwards I was running on a sole 2Gb. He also added that my motherboard was acting strange as it was showing signs of overheating. A metal plate near the RAM slots was burning hot.)

Solutions :

-Get it repaired. (It will either be not repairable or gonna cost me $ enough for another laptop)
-Get a new laptop. (Yay! =D But my 100Gb of songs, pictures and programs are gone... T.T)

Wishing for :

-A desktop. (But I don't want to carry a 7-8kg box + monitor everytime I go back to Penang)
-A laptop. (Looking at a higher spec one, which will run both Starcraft II and Diablo III without any problems)

The impossible wish :


The Alienware M15X



Specs (full spec model) :

-Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6 GHz
-Intel PM55 Express
-4096 MB, 2x 2048 MByte, DDR3-1333, max. 8 GByte
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M - 1024 MB, Core: 550 MHz, Memory: 950 MHz, Shader rate: 1350 MHz, 186.47
-15.6 inch 16:9, 1600x900 pixel, LED-Backlight, glossy: yes
-Seagate ST9250410AS, 250GB 7200 U/Min
-IDT 92HD71B7 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller
-HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GA11N
-height x width x depth (in mm): 49 x 378 x 309
-4.34 kg Power Supply: 0.72 kg
-85 Wh Lithium-Ion, Nine cell

Price : RM 6,599 for the full spec, RM 5,999 for the lower spec
Yes very pricey for a laptop, you can get a fully customised gaming desktop for around RM 3K. But it's a lot more portable than the desktop.

BUT : You get what you paid for.

Fully customisable keyboard lighting display. Look there's even a lighted touchpad!




Even the power cable is lighted. Hmmm.. Is it customisable too?


The box.


Open sesame!!


Inside you'll get :

A leather clad manual


A soft textile case


A cap


A mousepad



Me hearts! Me wants!! Ohh money....


Pictures and specs from Notebookcheck
Price from Dell

0 Comment(s):