Big Black Book

bad ass book of doom? not quite yet...

Monday, May 25, 2009

Trade-offs

I've been giving this some thought for quite some time now..

Currently my laptop is running on 3GB of RAM (Yes the speed is phenomenal!) but it's been having some minor hiccups.

When I switch my laptop on, the screen will not light up, it remains pitch black no matter how long I let it load. My solution to this problem would be to force it to shut down by holding the power button down for a few seconds and start it again approximately one minute after turning it off.

My laptop screen did burned once and I had to sent it for repairs as it was still under warranty when it happened. However the situation was different. When the screen went to Hell for the first time, it showed me a white empty screen. There's nothing on the plain white screen. Nothing happened either after a few minutes. So I knew it was dead.

When my laptop came back, the technician told me that it was because of the RAM. So I went back to the shop where I bought the extra 2GB (My laptop came with 1GB of RAM and was running on Vista) of RAM and got it exchanged with a brand new one.

Now after a few months, my laptop is acting strangely again. It happens around 5% of all the time I switched on my laptop. If it's the RAM acting up again, I have a few choices :

1. Pull out the original 1GB of RAM and live with the 2GB of RAM.

2. Maybe it's because of the 2GB of RAM, so take it out and live with 1GB of RAM.

3. Ignore the signs and continue having speedy performance with 3GB of RAM.

People, advice please? Please be aware that Vista still eats up performance although the Aero function is off.

10 Comment(s):

Greynovember said...

used to have the same prob on the pc. its the RAM.

dont mix diff brands, diff sizes.

Vincent said...

Sizes? As in memory size? If it's physical size, then it's the same. The one that came with my laptop I'm not sure about it's brand, but the one I bought as an extra is Corsair, not bad of a brand.

Greynovember said...

yea yea mem size bro. normally get them in pairs or make sure that they are the same in everyway.

Vincent said...

Hmm.. Then should I pluck my ori 1GB out n replace it with another Corsair 2GB? Muahahahha.. 4GB of RAM!! I know the max for Vista is 3.something but max it out?

Greynovember said...

eh max 3 only meh?

Vincent said...

For Vista Home ed is 3.2 or 3.4.. Can't remember. Vista Pro (the full edition one) can go till 4 I think.

Mithra Radiant said...

hi there
found your blog accidentally by looking for these stupid spam messsages about videocollections or something
nice blog btw and i like the template
what's its code i'd like to add it in my blog as well
thank you

Vincent said...

hey there!
Thanx for the compliment, it's one hella long code. You can try looking them up at pyzam.com, there's tons of templates there! =)

tokmoh said...

That's what my fren told me too, Vince. Preferably, all the RAMs should be of same speed n size.

Vincent said...

Hmm.. Looks like its going to be 4GB..