Big Black Book

bad ass book of doom? not quite yet...

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

T a s t e [teyst]

Each of us have different taste. A different taste for food, clothing and activities. The differences in taste each of us have is influenced by our upbringing and also somehow by our own double-helix genetics. What really got my attention about taste is that it changes. And each person might have a different taste of the same thing, but is this really possible for food?



I have been pondering about this for quite some time now but the subject of changing taste came up again while I was having dinner with my mum in Johnny's at Queensbay Mall yesterday. I chucked aside the Chinese Parsley(Also called Coriander) that came with my Golden Mushroom Fried Rice. Mum asked me to pass it to her which I did. I told her it was horrendous and tasted like medicine for a sick cow. Then she told me how my dad used to hate the Chinese green. So based on that, my dad's taste for the Parsley actually changed. I read from somewhere that when you are young, your taste buds are more sensitive to different flavours. Most flavours and scents are supercharged to you. You would have picked up a little bit of sweetness that would probably pass off as tasteless to adults. As you grow older, your teeny weeny tasting factory on you tongue will slowly go on strike and become less efficient.

And yes, I might have answered my own question of do taste change but there is still something left. Is it possible for the taste of the same food to come from two different end of the scale from two different person? Let's go for an example to simplify this grossly long sentence.
Food : Ice cream
Taste from person A : Sweet
Taste from person B : Bitter
Is this possible? Ice cream is just an example for food, it can be other consumables as well.

Moving on from foodstuff, I believe that our taste in fashion will also change. Most of us will change the way we dress ourselves as we slowly age. I am sure that most of us here have grown out of our KikiLala & Kodomo Lion stage. Maturity changes our taste in fashion.



Age is not the only factor in the change. Our lifestyles will also dictate how we dress. Spiderman won't go dressing like Wonder Woman. Mr Najib won't go dressing like Mr Pervez either.



Our peers also 'decide' what we wear. I mentioned 'decide' because although we choose what we want to wear, we will compare it to the norm before wearing them. What is the norm? It is something that is acceptable to the majority of the public. Mr Charles Horton Cooley point this out in his theory of looking glass self. If the norm changes, so will our way of dressing up. If one day men worldwide were to accept skirts as a norm, then it wouldn't be weird for guys to wear one. (I can't imagine myself in one.. Spare me the horror.. Let me be gone before the world gets twisted.)

Now let's go into activities. Will you still be break dancing when you are in your 60's? You won't be tearing up the dance floor, instead you'll be tearing tendons and muscles and breaking bones. Only some activities can be done for a lifetime.

To wrap it up, yes everything changes but changes in taste of food still remains questionable.

6 Comment(s):

Greynovember said...

my otak bit the tepu at the moment..........

ummm, A may like B but B may like C the C dont like A then D like ABC then ABC dont like D

then.....wtf.

Vincent said...

alamak... i complicate my readers plak... ok lets take me n u for example.

Both of us bought the same Cornetto ice cream. I tasted it as sweet. You tasted it as bitter. Is this possible?

On a side note, your A may like C and C don't like D... reminds me of maths. In the end the question will be : So which seating position will satisfy all four people? lol.

Greynovember said...

lol. no la, have alot on my mind lately.

eh, not so extreme as in from sweet to bitter la.

but yet again, one man's meat is anothers poison ma

Vincent said...

hmmm.. i think i smell wedding season.. am i right?

the parsley was bitter as hell to me. how can anyone like something bitter?

the intensity might be different for different people.

Anonymous said...

Eat parsley alone of cuz bitter. Sprinkle it on pasta, kwey teow, even pizza, it'll add flavor.

As for me, I used to hate ginger, even though I knew it's good to "buang angin dalam perut". But it was a trip to mid valley when I changed my perception on ginger. There was this one booth promoting a honey with ginger liquid, which u add hot water to it, so it's something like... cordial, a healthy herbal cordial, yeap. Plus, they put an article photostated from some newspaper on ginger a good anti-cancer food :O Well, I still cannot eat large chunk of ginger, but if grate it finely then can la...

But Vince, I share ur curiosity on soya milk, ahaha. I grew up drinking cow's milk, then when I tried soya milk once, I spit it all out back thinking "WHO THE F*CK DRINKS THIS?!?!" Somehow, it affected my taste perception on most soya products... tofu, tempeh, etc. I'd normally avoid or not eat them XP

Oh, I did experience a sudden sweet to bitter feeling before. Try drinking nothing but warm water n green tea for months, then drink Coke. That moment made me avoid fizzy drink whenever there's another option.

U know Vince, wearin kain pelekat somewhat feels like wearing long skirt... me dun like it either :P

Oh, Kev nk kawin? yohohoho :D

Vincent said...

I haven't tried sprinkling it on pizza's before because whenever I see them, they are those lil green trees type. But suprisingly i love Italian mix herbs.

Ginger also another problem, I won't even eat a slice of ginger. But grind it into powder form n I might eat it.

Lol. Soya milk eh? Somehow I prefer soya milk to the cow milk. N fyi, I love toofooo especially the smooth japanese variant.

Oh I get what you are trying to say. It's like eating ice cream then drinking milo. Or for more accurate taste, go for roti bom then milo. Milo will be tasteless.

lol. Kain pelekat? haha.. I guess only women, pondans, effeminate men and man from countries which have skirts as their traditional costume will wear them.

Dunno.. Kev macam stress lately. haha.. Maybe gonna kahwin kut?