Big Black Book

bad ass book of doom? not quite yet...

Monday, March 30, 2009

Minutes to Midnight

Photobucket

60 Earth Hour. I'm sure all of you have heard of it before. It was on last saturday (28/03/09). 60 Earth Hour was much publicised, promoted, endorsed and advocated by many groups both governmental and non-governmental (Celebrities included).

Photobucket

Sure it's good to switch off your lights and electrical appliances for that short one hour. I'm sure almost all who read this had participated. Yes I participated too by switching off all my electrical appliances and visited the nearby mamak stall for my dinner.

Photobucket

After some serious thinking on this event, I feel that this is just a very small step in saving our world. How much do you think we can help by just switching off all our electrical appliances for one hour on one day? We do that almost everyday. But still the rising tides of global warming are still on their way up. Icebergs are still melting. Polar bears are still killing each other out of stress. Monkeys are still sleeping with me. How far can we push back the clock of our impending doom? A few months? A few years? Sure it does create awareness. Some are using this to excuse themselves from doing far worse things to Mother earth. Some will say, "I already did my part in 60 Earth Hours" and still waste paper/electricity/resources on a daily basis. To sum it all up, IS THERE ANY GOOD IN 60 EARTH HOUR?

I don't think so. Come on people, if we are really serious about saving our planet, we need to do more. To all those body who took part in promoting 60 Earth Hour, do pressure our Government to tighten and enforce the laws on environmental issues, introduce a waste separation bill and enforce it, give incentive to industries who promotes & PRACTICES environmental-friendly methods and further promote recycling among the public. We too, as the RAKYAT must know our own responsibilities. Separate our waste, switch off any electrical appliances which are not in use and recycle. If all of us do their own part, I'm very sure the effect would be greater than 60 Earth Hour.

0 Comment(s):