Big Black Book

bad ass book of doom? not quite yet...

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Called to serve...

I heard someone calling my name. I arose from my slumber and immediately recognised that voice. It was Jessica. I squinted and stared at the clock. It's 7.30 am. I felt like I've only been asleep for 5 minutes. She beckons me to go and wash my face. I did reluctantly.

I turned the tap anti-clockwise and water came out of the faucet in a clear and steady stream. The water is cold to the touch as I cupped both my hands together to retain water. I splashed it against my face a few times. I feel rejuvenated and re-energised. I sipped the water from my palms and gurgled them in my mouth. A moment later i spit it out. Ahh.. That's better. It cleared up my morning breath by a lil bit. This might sound disgusting but this is a norm when I was camping back in those days.

I came out of the toilet looking fresh and with water still trickling down my face. I looked around for Jessica. She was no where to be found. I went back to the study room where I was sleeping in the previous night. I folded the blanket and mattress up. Just as I was finishing, I heard her saying, "No need la.. Kakak will do it..". Oh well I was done anyway. I turned around and realised she was ready.

She unlocked the main door and opened the gate. We slid into her ivory kelisa. She fired up the engine and back out of the porch. Then we were off to PISA (Penang International Sports Arena). There were many cars on the road by now. As we were reaching the side gate of PISA, we realised that most of the cars we saw are turning in to PISA. Most of the parking bays there are full except for a few further ones. We found one by the side of the swimming complex which was quite a distance from the registration counters.

I looked at Jessica and I immediately knew the reason she was wearing a cap. It was supposed to be a shield if any of her emotion were to run wild. She was unusually quiet and uptight. Upon reaching the registration counter, we saw crowds of people. Parents, friends, brothers, sisters, uncle, aunties and even some grandparents turned up to send their beloved off. Some were seen sobbing and some were laughing and hugging. Then I saw Sim at the counter, reporting himself in for National Service. His head was already shaved. A wee bit too short. Well that's Sim, his usual mischievous self. He looks ok. No sobbing or tearing. A middle-aged lady approached us and begin talking to Sim. It took me a while to recognise that that lady was actually his mum. I've only seen his mum on a few occasions. She's friendly alright.

We were then searching for his bus. We wondered left and right in the mazes of yellow school buses. Alas, we found his bus. It was parked at the front. We stood by the bus and chatted for a while. He asked for a private moment with Jessica. I obliged and moved a distance away. A few minutes later Sim walked toward his mum and said his goodbyes. After embracing his mum for the last time in 3 months, he walked towards me and gave me a hug. I gave him a bear hug instead. His emotion is still contained. I took a quick look at Jessica and I realised that she was tearing already. As the officer in charge started the last call for participants to board the bus, Sim was already seen inside the bus. He peered at us through the partly tinted window and waved. We waved back and started walking away. The mum left earlier because she wanted to follow the bus to the camp which is in Balik Pulau.

As we walked away, I asked Jessica where to. She answered, "Take me anywhere". She is distraught but still trying to keep it all inside her. We walked around PISA and lost our way. I started pointing in all directions and kept saying, "I think your car is that way". Eventually we walked one big round around PISA before we found her car.

Sim is going away for 3 months. He is still here. We can still visit him. He'll be back after 3 months. Those were my words to Jessica. However no matter what I say it will never fill that void in her heart. A void that will always be there until Sim is back for good. People form bonds, be it strange or absurb, those bonds are one of the strongest and sweetest. Those bonds shall not be broken by any force known to men. It will last forever. Sim I'll see you soon. For the moment, take care and have fun in camp.



5 Comment(s):

TheJessicat said...

i don't like this post.

take it away.


=(

TheJessicat said...

it's too fiction-like, and u spelt 'absurd' wrongly.

don't edit it. =/




aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i hate this post. and i look ugly in the picture.

=(

Vincent said...

jess u better appreciate this. finished this at 5am.

haha.. girls and their, "I look ugly, I look fat, I look horrible".

TheJessicat said...

YES I DO.

im naturally cut out to be fat n ugly

dont bother denying just becs ur my fren =/

thanks 4d post. i do appreciate it vinz, u know that.

Vincent said...

remember wat i told you in ur car when coming back from cgl sports day.